The Hitachi Magic Wand
Our hopes for the Hitachi Magic Wand were very high. We had heard and read many great things about it, so we decided to buy one for ourselves and do a review on it. You’ll see in this review that there are some amazing things about the Hitachi Magic Wand, and some things that didn’t stack up to our expectations. Overall, it’s a great purchase and one that we wouldn’t change our minds about. But it’s not for everyone.
Which Hitachi Magic Wand should I get?
If you’ve been looking for a Hitachi Magic Wand, there are a couple options out there on Amazon – the original, less expensive, plug-in model and the more expensive rechargeable model:
Being a professional sex health blogger, we decided to go with both the original and the rechargeable Hitachi Magic Wand. A while back, Hitachi decided they did not want to be associated with what had become a wildly popular sex toy / personal massager, so they sold the rights to manufacture it to another company, Vibratex. All of the “Original” Hitachi Magic Wand massagers out there are not really made by Hitachi any longer unless you find one that’s about 20 years old.
Differences between the Original and the Rechargeable Hitachi Magic Wand
In any case, there are some advantages of both models:
- The rechargeable model is, of course, cordless. The original model actually comes with a very short, permanently attached cord. Use a small extension cord to extend the cord length. The cord is also a minor distraction / nuisance as it’s draping across your partner’s body.
- The rechargeable Hitachi Magic Wand does have a cord for charging. The rechargeable model doesn’t need to be fully charged to be used, unlike other vibrators. If you run out of battery, you can still use it plugged in. Though, the cord is still fairly short.
- Several of the “original” Hitachi Magic Wand models come with a regular light dimmer switch. This is because the controls on the original model do not provide a lot of variability in the power. The dimmer switch essentially provides a reduction in the electric current flow to reduce the power. From what we have noticed, though it’s a fairly janky solution, this may actually be an advantage for those who can’t even tolerate the lowest power setting on the rechargeable model.
- The rechargeable Hitachi Magic Wand has a different surface on the massager head. The original model has a smoother plastic head that glides over the body more smoothly than the rechargeable model. The rechargeable model switched to more of a texture that you would find on a normal high-end vibrator, which provides a little more friction. However, that also means that it doesn’t glide very smoothly over non-lubricated skin, so you should plan on using a little lube if you would like to move it around.
- The rechargeable Hitachi Magic Wand has a distracting bright blue LED light when it is turned on. In a dark room, this light is rather blinding. We covered it with dark tape.
So which one should I get?
So as you can tell, there are many differences between the two Hitachi Magic Wand models. Based on the differences alone, we can’t tell which one we would recommend. However, based on price, if you don’t mind the cord and the amateur solution of the light switch dimmer for power control, the original model is the one to go with. Especially if you are rather sensitive in the clitoral area. If you need some power and maneuverability, go with the rechargeable model.
Initial Impressions of the Hitachi Magic Wand
Despite the higher price point, this is not your typical luxury vibrator unboxing with a velvet carrying case and fancy packaging. The Hitachi Magic Wand comes in a rather plain box with a picture of the vibrator on the outside as the main feature. Who cares about the box though? I certainly don’t. The box and the instructions book immediately went in the garbage. I care about how good the product is.
We immediately plugged it in to get a sense of the power that this thing was supposed to have. Wow. We have several vibrators. This thing felt like comparing a jackhammer to a small kitchen coffee grinder. It’s a little intimidating, even on the lowest setting.
But then we left it plugged in for a few hours to see if it still had that kind of power when running just on the battery. It did. When it’s fully charged, there’s no difference between it running on the battery or running while plugged in.
Hitachi Magic Wand Review: Is it good in bed?
Packaging, initial impressions, style, etc. These are all fine for setting expectations and the mood. But how does the Hitachi Magic Wand actually feel? That’s the million dollar question.
Honestly, there are two issues with the Hitachi Magic Wand. First, it is simply too powerful for me, even on the lowest setting. Perhaps I’m blessed with a sensitive clitoris, but the rechargeable version is too strong. However, it is pretty nice to use with my favorite lube, some coconut oil, around the outside of the outer labia to help those vaginal muscles relax. This also helps to provide some buffer from the deep rumbly vibrations so that the power is not directly applied to the clitoris. This is why some reviewers say that many ladies choose to use the Hitachi Magic Wand on top of their panties.
On the flip side, after getting properly warmed up and using the dimmer switch with the original model and setting it to the lowest setting, the sensation is pleasurable when applied around and directly on the clitoris. The smoother texture of the head also allows the head to glide a little nicer as well. However, we would definitely recommend getting warmed up first.
If you’re interested in this, this is the dimmer switch we purchased:
The other factor is that for us, the head shape of the Hitachi Magic Wand just wasn’t quite as nice as the shape of other vibrators such as the Lelo Mona 2. The smaller head allows you to pinpoint the vibration right to the sweet spot of the clitoris. However, some women also totally rave about the wand head shape because it’s able to provide stimulation to clitoris, inner and outer labia, and deep inside – all at once.
Bonus features of the Hitachi Magic Wand!
At the beginning of this review I said that we would still recommend purchasing the Hitachi Magic Wand, even though it’s not our favorite clit vibrator. It is still a great purchase because it is a wonderful full body massager! How about that. It’s original purpose is still its best strength. We have been really taking advantage of using coconut oil for massaging before sex. See 6 Reasons to use Coconut Oil as Lube AND Massage Oil. The Hitachi Magic Wand takes this to the next level. On the larger muscle groups, the deep vibrations are absolutely incredible. The Hitachi Magic Wand gives deep vibrations into your larger muscles that hands simply can’t replicate. 15 minutes of coconut oil and the deep vibrations will turn you into a limber relaxed sex machine ready to take on sexual adventures you have only dreamed of!
Hitachi Magic Wand: Our Summary
Even though the Hitachi Magic Wand is not our favorite clitoral massager, it has many possibilities. The actual massage capability has opened up new excitement in our sexual relationship. There are also many attachments such as the ones in the link below that are exciting possibilities. One day we will purchase some of these attachments and write another review for them. Until then, consider if the Hitachi Magic Wand is the right vibrator for you! If you purchase one, let us know what you think!